Monday, February 5, 2007

Should I Work?

I often feel tired recently, and I wanna do nothing except sleeping. In every class, I have to drink coffee to make myself awake. But how come? I think the main reason is that I have a part time job now~~ I work at Noodle & Grill Express Ltd, which is located in MacEwan Student Center. In every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday’s afternoon, I go to work from 5 to 9. After go back to the dorm, I just want to lie on the bed. Sometimes I do my homework in the next morning. After four hours’ work, the only thing I want to do is to have a rest. Absolutely, the part time job have badly influenced my study. However, it’s not totally a bad thing for me. If I don’t spend four hours on working, I may spend this time on watching movie, chatting with my friends or playing computer games. I’m a lazy student, and I rarely do extra studying after finish homework. In this case, I prefer to have a part time job instead of having entertainment. At least I can make some money every month. I’m not lack of money, but as an adult, I don’t want to rely on my parents all the time. Sometimes I want to afford something by myself, such as clothes. I feel uncomfortable to ask my parents for money even though they don’t mind. For this reason, I strongly want to make money by myself. Moreover, the part time job motivates me to study on my free time, such as the ten minutes break during each class. As I know I don’t have enough time to do homework, I try my best to use every minutes to do it. As you can see, there are both advantages and disadvantages of part time job, I cannot decide whether quit the job or continue working.

8 comments:

Steven said...

First of all, although you are good at imitating adult, you are still a girl. Of course, several years later, you will become an adult. Second, which major do you want in your undergraduate program, in my opinion, you should choice finance or management. You are really good at this field. Finally, beside money, lot of money, delicious meal, is there any funny thing you can imagine about the spring festival.

Kenneth said...

In my opinion, I would suggest that you quit your job at this moment. Leap program only cost you two more months. You can earn more money after you graduate from this LEAP program. (Especially, Money is not VERY VERY important to you). You can think about working full-time after you graduate from Leap program (Spring + Summer = 4 months)

Moreover, it is because your part time job is really bothering you. (Whenever I see you in the cafeteria, you look a little bit tired.) And, watching movie or any other entertainment is not wrong at all. It will be better if it is related to English.

I know that your English is good enough to pass level 4. What if you feel tired and make some careless mistakes during exam or hand in term paper? What if you feel sick because the night before you work too hard? What if you feel tired and injury yourself at work? It does not worth it at all.

This program is not very tough some how. However, some projects really worth a lot of points. If you don’t get enough sleep in the regular class period, I am afraid that you won’t be in good shape and work up to your 100% during the mid-term and final exam. As a Chinese, better English would gain you more respect somehow. Do you agree?

As your friend, I hope that you don’t mind if I say too much. Quit or not quit is all you choice. You better ask for more suggestions … I really looking forward to see your Big Smile AGAIN…

Scott Douglas said...

It's a hard question. When I was an undergrad student, I worked in a bookstore for a while, but I had to quit when final exam time started because I had way too much to do. Good luck deciding!

anna said...

Hi Jennifer.
Could you reduce your working shifts to once or twice a week or concentrate them all on the reading week, for example?
Yulia

Happy Amy said...

Everything has two sides....
For me...I hope I can quite my job without caring about anything...but, all of my co-workers are so kind to me...especially mu manager Betty....they are even helping me to find a new apartment now.

I am busy, but I am happy now...

SabRina said...

Hello!

I think that is depend on yourself, do you really want to work? if you want just do it!! if you not just give up...

that's only my suggest....

Alif said...

I agree with Kenneth. If I were I would do the same because I had to do the same while I was in the Level III. I had no choice. I could not do homework regularly. Also, I don't know more about you. So, decide carefully. That's all.

Alif said...
This comment has been removed by the author.